Tuesday, March 27, 2018

A Message To Conservatives and Liberals

I consider myself a liberal. My default setting is liberal, and my default positions on most topics is pretty left wing.

Here's the thing.

My boyfriend and some of my very best friends are conservative, all of whom are extremely intelligent people.

And you know what?

WE ALL GET ALONG JUST FINE.

How, you ask?

Because we respect each other as human beings. We understand each other, we discuss and argue about what we individually think should be done in this country, and how it should be done. We ask each other why we believe certain things, and at the end of the day if we still disagree, we just go out for drinks and party together.

Everyone needs to understand that we are not at war, the liberals and conservatives. At least, we don't have to be. We may all disagree on the finer details, but in the end all of us love our country and we want what's best for people.

Here's an Experiment


If you are a liberal, comment on a public post and pretend you are conservative. Just write, "I don't think gun control is the answer." If you are conservative, post a comment somewhere and say, "We need better laws to regulate the purchase of guns." I guarantee, either way you will get some death threats.

Honestly, as a liberal myself, I always used to see the conservative side as wrong, and I used to believe that most conservatives were kinda violent, because every time I posted something more left wing, I got pretty hateful comments on my posts. I was the one who was calm and collected, and I thought as a liberal I was supposed to be calm and use the facts to get to the answer.

And yet, when my conservative friends do the same thing, going to facts and act calm and collected in their posts or their comments, they got threats from liberals.

So…both sides are harassing each other, and hate each other for harassing each other, and see the other side as violent, unintelligent and uninformed. Do you see what I'm getting at? We're exactly the same. We both act out violently toward the other side. And if you have ever made a violent comment toward someone on the other side, you better not be thinking of yourself as "right" or "better" than them.

At first, after I learned about that, I was pretty embarrassed to call myself liberal for a while. I didn't want to associate with the same group of people that was harassing my friends for their beliefs, even though I don't always agree with their beliefs.

Now listen.

All I'm saying is, don't threaten people, no matter how much you disagree. I don't care if you think your side is right (this goes for both of you conservatives and liberals). You respect the other person as a human being, first and foremost. Then you discuss. CALMLY AND WITH FACTS NOT EMOTION.

And, if the other side has a better argument, even if in your heart of hearts you believe that you are right, you have to accept defeat until you have better facts and information to counter it. You accept their argument with no insults, no threats. If the science and the facts are on the other side, you can't keep pretending you're right no matter how much you want to.

At least, until you get better information.

With the group of friends I hang out with, I'm a liberal and not Jewish, which makes me a minority.

SO STOP MAKING ME LOOK BAD.

Thanks.

Jess

1 comment:

A Cuban In London said...

Excellent post. Thanks.

Greetings from London.